Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Simple Spring Wreath


This week I'm working on sprucing up my front porch.  Its March, and spring is in the air (even if there still is a little snow on the ground).  But with this chill, I don't want to fill the porch with pots of flowers yet, only to see them freeze or fade.  I'm desperate for some green around here, so I'm looking to one of my old favorites - moss.


I wanted to make a simple spring wreath using moss, ribbon, some kind of wreath form, and as little money as possible.  But I had no wreath form or moss.  Then I found this wire wreath form (below) at the thrift store for 49 cents.  I love it when that happens.

I bought some floral moss at Walmart for $2 per bag, and only used 2 bags.  I already had a long length of white ribbon and a few sticks of hot glue.  So, for a under $5, I had all the supplies I needed.
The floral moss - or sheet moss - literally comes in sheets.  So it was easy to unfold and wrap around the wreath form.  I worked in small sections, running hot glue along portions of the wire, then covering in moss.  In just a few minutes, I was left with this:
I secured any loose pieces of moss with a dot of hot glue.  Then I used a long loop of white ribbon to hang it from the door, securing it with a thumb tack on the top of the door.  Here is the final product:

That's it.  I told you it was going to be simple.  But its lush and green and costs under 5 bucks! And I don't mind simple (especially after the holdays).  Plus I can always add to it as we come into Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment