Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Free Goody Bag

What do you do with your kids when you are waiting... in the car, in Dad's office, in a long line?  Honestly, I am not usually prepared for these moments.  I may have something in my purse or at best a diaper bag with that one token toy that my child is now sick of.  I usually end up pulling out a pen and receipt from the bottom of my purse for them to draw on, or keys to rattle - and that is the best I offer.

Until now.  Here's a free project that took just a few minutes using stuff we already had.  Call it a Goody Bag, a Bag-o-Fun, or a Mom's Lifesaver.  Its going with me from now on.  This is what I used:
  • A sturdy little bag - small enough to fit in a purse. Mine is an extra make-up bag I got with a gift for Christmas. You probably have something similar not being used.  Even a zip-lock bag will do.
  • A little notepad for coloring on.
  • Stickers
  • Crayons - not "good" ones, but crayons I don't mind losing or breaking.  Some are restaurant crayons that I take home with me since I learned they just throw them away.
  • Playdoh - little cans from party favors & stocking stuffers, we already have the same colors in big containers at home.  So into the Goody Bag they go.
  • A small board book - preferably old, and not the favorite book (in case it gets lost).
  • A little toy - this will probably rotate regularly with whatever the latest happy meal toy is.  Again, something small that I don't mind losing and I can change out frequently.
It all fits!  My advice would be keep it simple and small. (Anything is better than an old receipt and a ball point pen!) I didn't pack anything with a lot of little parts, or things my kids will make a mess of. The last thing I want is to clean up a bunch of little things once I'm done waiting for that prescription to be filled!  I won't be dumping the bag out for them, but probably handing out one or two things at a time.  I have four kids and this little bag will be plenty for all of them.  Again, simple is key.

Here's some other ideas you could use (depending on your kids' ages) to fill your Goody Bag:
  • Matchbox cars
  • Polly Pockets
  • Small markers - for older kids
  • A toy phone
  • A little book
  • A flashlight
  • Suckers - we have a few free ones from the bank (another car-line we wait in with kids!)

You can find a plethora of ideas on line too (lists, activity pages, crafts, etc)! Just a few ideas to help you in those tough moments.  Its so much easier for kids (& mom!) to be cheerful if they have a little something to keep them happy.

A happy heart makes the face cheerful...
~ Proverbs 15:13 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment